Call for Papers (1st round)
Growth, Development and Social Justice
The Ninth Forum of the World Association for Political Economy
May 23–25, 2014, Vietnamese Academy of Social Sciences
The 8th forum of the World Association for Political Economy (WAPE) was successfully held in Florianopolis, Brazil on May 24-26, 2013. About 100 participants from 18 countries attended this forum. Ninety three papers or abstracts were submitted. Theotonio dos Santos (Brazil) and Wei Xinhua (China) were granted the Marxian Economics Award, and nine professors from USA, UK, France, China, Japan, Brazil, and Vietnam were granted the Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century. A Statement on “Inequalities and World Capitalism: Analysis, Policy and Action” was released at the closing ceremony of the forum.
The 9th WAPE Forum “Growth, Development and Social Justice” will be held at Vietnamese Academy of Social Sciences, Hanoi, Vietnam on May 23-25, 2014.
Topics to propose
You are welcome to propose topics on the theme “Growth, Development and Social Justice” and all other topics related to Marxist political economy before June 30, 2013. Please email your proposals to email@example.com.
How to apply to attend the 9th WAPE Forum
Please register at www.wapeweb.org with your personal information, upload one of your photos, and submit your full curriculum vitae and a paper abstract of 500 words in English. Once your abstract is accepted, please pay your registration fee online. When your payment is confirmed, please submit your full paper. You will then receive an official invitation. You also have the option to apply to attend the forum without a paper.
Both individual papers and complete panels on the theme and proposed topics are welcome.
- Important dates
Deadline for abstract: October 31, 2013;
Notice of acceptance: November 30, 2013;
Deadline for full paper: March 31, 2014.
Full papers submitted after March 31, 2014 will not be included in the conference proceedings.
All accepted papers will be considered for publication in World Review of Political Economy.
- Registration fee
US$160 for online payment before March 31, 2014;
US$220 for online payment after March 31, 2014 or onsite payment on May 23-25, 2014.
- Official Language: English
- On site registration on May 22 through May 23, 2014.
- WAPE Council meeting/WRPE Editorial meeting on May 23, 2014.
- Official program on May 24 through May 25, 2014.
What is the benefit of joining WAPE?
While applying to attend the 9th WAPE forum, you have the option to join WAPE. It is highly recommended that you choose to join WAPE. Please find below the details on WAPE membership.
- General Membership
WAPE has decided to develop itself as a membership organization in order to facilitate the exchange of knowledge, new thought and research across the divide of language and geography, and offer its members access to certain benefits. These include:
• Free digital copies of the organization’s peer reviewed academic journal, World Review of Political Economy (WRPE), which is published four times a year.
• Publishing of members’ selected articles on our websites.
• Translation of selected books and articles into Chinese and publishing them in China.
• Invitations to attend a variety of conferences in China.
• Scholars who are members may be invited to China on a lecture tour.
• Members will be invited to join panels, which WAPE will organize for various international conferences held in different countries.
The general membership fee of WAPE is only US$30 per year, and the membership fee including a hard copy of WRPE is US$100 per year. Membership taken out in 2013 has the added benefit of members receiving eight digital issues of WRPE Volumes 3 and 4.
Marxian economists from all over the world are welcome to attend the forum whether or not they will present a paper. The WAPE Forums aim to encourage cooperation among Marxian economists and to enlarge and strengthen the influence of Marxian economics in the world.
- WAPE. The World Association for Political Economy, registered in Hong Kong, China, is an international academic organization founded in 2006 by Marxian economists and related groups around the world. The mission of WAPE is to utilize modern Marxian economics to analyze and study the world economy, reveal its laws of development, and offer policies to promote economic and social progress on the national and global level. The last six WAPE forums were successively held in Shanghai, Shimane(Japan), Beijing, Paris, Suzhou(China), Amherst(USA), and Mexico City (Mexico), Florianopolis (Brazil) during 2006-2013. Participants in past WAPE forums have come from over 50 countries in Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe, and North and South America.
- WRPE. The World Review of Political Economy is a peer-reviewed quarterly journal of Marxian Political Economy sponsored by WAPE and published by Pluto Journals. For more information including types of submissions that will be considered, please go to www.wapeweb.org.
- WAPE Awards. The Distinguished Achievement Award of World Political Economy of the 21st Century, established by WAPE, has been granted annually since 2009 to recognize an outstanding book or article in political economy. It is intended to promote research in modern political economy around the world by granting the award to economists who have made important innovations in the theory or methodology of political economy since the year of 2001. The Marxian Economics Award, established by WAPE in 2011, is given to recognize an outstanding lifetime record of achievement in political economy. Its purpose is to promote the development of the research of Marxist economics around the world by granting the award to economists of different countries in the world who have made important innovations in the research of theories, methodology and application of Marxian economics. The 2014 WAPE Awards will be granted at the opening ceremony of the Ninth WAPE Forum. Nominations and applications can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The WAPE Secretariat
June 10, 2013