The Jan Whitwell Prize is an award to honour the memory of Jan Whitwell (1944-1993), a former President of the New Zealand Association of Economists (1992-93), distinguished university lecturer and musician. Jan Whitwell died in a road accident in October 1993. View the Jan Whitwell Obituary, written by Lew Evans.
The Jan Whitwell Prize is awarded for research undertaken as part of a Bachelor’s, Master’s or doctoral degree and presented at the annual conference of the New Zealand Association of Economists. Up to two prizes may be awarded each year, in the value of $1,000 each.
Conditions of entry
- Entry to the Jan Whitwell Prize is open to persons who at the time of the conference are either enrolled in post-graduate study or have completed a Master or Bachelor degree in the preceding eighteen months
- Entrants must be able to attend and present their paper at the Conference.
- Entries from overseas that meet these criteria will also be accepted.
- Participants must comply with Conference Registration deadlines as detailed on the conference website.
- Co-authored papers are allowed, and the other authors need not meet the eligibility criteria for the award. However, the prize entrant must be the sole presenter of the paper.
- There shall be up to two awards made each year, one for the best presentation of research undertaken as part of a doctoral degree, and for for the best presentation of work undertaken as part of a Bachelor or Master degree. In the event that there are insufficient entries in each of these categories, there shall be a single award for which all entrants will be eligible.
Please note that the prize is awarded for the best presented paper.
Authors must comply with all deadlines for submission of Abstracts and Full Papers as detailed on the conference website.
Please be sure to check the box indicating that you wish to enter the Jan Whitwell Prize.
NOTE: Payment of any monies will only be in NZ dollars, either by way of an NZ cheque made out to the awardee as the payee or a direct debit to a NZ bank account held in the name of the awardee.
- Jaimie Monk (doctoral)
- Robbie Maris (Honours/Masters)
- Cameron Birchall (doctoral)
- Shakked Noy (Honours/Masters)
- Hanna Habibi (doctoral)
- Livvy Mitchell (Honours/Masters)
- Li Yaxiong (doctoral)
- Ben Davies (Honours/Masters)
- Nazila Alinaghi (doctoral)
- Cameron Hobbs (Honours/Masters)
- Yonatan Dinku (doctoral)
- Lan Anh Tong (doctoral)
- Wilbur Townsend (Honours/Masters)
- Michelle Poland (doctoral)
- Azreem Karim (doctoral)
- Michelle Lewis (Honours/Masters)
- Peer Ebbesen Skov (doctoral)
- Anna Robinson (Honours/Masters)
- Lydia Cheung (doctoral)
- Athene Laws (Honours/Masters)
- Ekaterina Sadetzkaya (doctoral)
- Katie Bergstrom (Honours/Masters)
- Alex Olssen
- Penny Mok
- Scott Brooker
- Michael Kirker
- Damien Eldridge
- Nina Walton
- Leo Krippner
- Philip Liu
- Linda Sanderson
- Iris Claus
- Kirdan Lees
- Chitrani Agbenyegah Wijegunawardane
- Christophe Schumacher
- Pipat Wongsaart
- Wai Kin Choy